Today started right after the previous posting. After writing that posting I played around with the design, the more I played with it the more enthusiastic I became absleepout the new website.

Started first with the layout for YouTube subdomain. I was experimenting with the one-page layout for security conferences, after having a sort of basic design came the design for the overview of all the available conferences. Didn’t want to have it to busy looking. Just a layout where you can find all of the available conferences on my channel pretty easy and quite simple.

The design stage and adding the first content took me all night. Didn’t sleep because I had to much of energy. Went to bed around 10:00 AM just to get some sleep for a couple of hours.

The final result:

conference overview page ShmooCon conference design example

In the afternoon started playing with the design for the central hub. I want to also keep this design simple, you can always add things later on. Besides the design I wanted a colour for every subdomain or project that is mentioned in the central hub for recognition.

The more common approach of  designing a website is working with sketches or markups. Since the little amount of time I didn’t do that, this made me play around with the available designs and possibilities within the used WordPress theme. It helped me look at another way of presenting the information other then I previously had in mind. A sort of learning by doing!

 

WordPress multisite redirection

One last thing, in the last couple of days I sometimes had problems with WordPress login redirect and redirection within the WordPress Admin panel. If your using WordPress multisite then you need to add some redirection lines in the .htaccess file so WordPress redirects to the correct website and builds the correct links. Turns out I had the wrong redirection rules active, the right ones are:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ wp/$1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Now it’s time to go to bed, tomorrow the launching of the new website, stil a lot of work todo…

 

Learned today

  • after working all night a couple hours of sleep isn’t a bad thing, the UP app even gave me notice about it.
  • because I didn’t made any drawing or sketches for the website layout, it made look at the available possibilities within the WordPress theme.
  • the wrong WordPress redirection rules were active, because of this sometimes generated links didn’t work.

 

Music video of the day

 

Share This